Monday, July 20, 2009

Watoto Wazuri Wanasoma

The children continue to blow my mind here. They are so excited to learn and therefore so delighted by the smallest of gifts ... like pencils or pens. They take them shyly, with the right hand - left hand placed gently on their right elbow as a sign of respect and then turn and run screaming back to their homes to show brothers and sisters what they just got from Rehema. I can't help think ... but what will they write on? Most of them won't have paper or notebooks at home and yet, the gift of a pencil is so coveted.

I delivered my last round of books, notebooks and writing tools to the village the other day. We set up a library of sorts in the home of one of my favorite little ones - Saidi. His father was so delighted to meet me this year and he's 100% behind the children's education. He won't let them tire of learning and insists that it's the only way for them to go somewhere in life. When I suggested using his house as the learning center, he was more than happy to say yes. The kids in the neighborhood have already come up with a system of 'checking out' books to read or use for a day or two. We'll see how long the books survive and if they come back once they go, but I think in a village this small - the checks and balances will work easily as they all know each other and want to hold each other's respect and friendship.









After pouring over the books for a couple of hours, including reading Snow White to them - the first time they heard that one ... (no surprise there, but so different from our childhood in the US where knowledge of Snow White is inherent throughout) I took out my camera. At first they were shy and just let me take the pictures that I wanted - such as a few of them reading and looking over the books. Then, once they had seen their images on the screen they went nuts! I was suddenly a photographer for a big photo shoot starring - Hindu, Saidi, Musini, Zainabu, Zuhuru, Hamisi and a few others that popped in and out. They were seriously striking poses - leaning this way and that against the house or a banana tree, leaping through the air, posing with books and home-made soccer balls, painting their fingernails for the camera, posing with the pigeons ... anything you could find within and just outside their home, they were utilizing in the most frenzy-filled photo shoot! 'Rehema!! Mimi... hapa ..!! Rehema, Rehema, Rai, Rai, Rehema... me, me, me, now me, me alone, me with the book, me, me, me' ... It was insane! (unfortunately, this computer won't work with my camera, so those will follow soon!)










After the photo madness I took out the U of Utah football that I brought them to play with. I showed them how to throw a football - fingers on the laces and all that good stuff that I learned in my backyard some time ago. They had fun throwing it at close range in a circle, like hot potato... Then I showed them how far a football could go. I told Hamisi to 'go long' - ha ha - ... When he was quite a distance off, standing between two banana trees, I sent a long hard spiral his way and he caught it no problem and sent it right back! It was fun to watch them each take a turn throwing it back and forth.

Yesterday was my last day in the village. I went back to attend the wedding of one of my young friend's sisters - Hindu's sister, Amina. After the wedding, which deserves an entry in its own right - I gave the kids the biggest hugs I had in me and said with great confidence: I'll see you next year! Study hard and check the mail for your pictures!

Next stop - Dar es Salaam... then Mombasa for a big Somali wedding and then Nairobi and home! I'm homesick this year... I didn't have Tamrika and the gang to spend days with and debrief about cultural and educational issues ... Next year, some of you should seriously consider joining me! I have everything worked out ... lodging, car rental, school-building project ... the perfect African Safari (Safari meaning trip, not lion hunting!)... just planting the seed... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment